Monday, June 6, 2011

A new and unbelievable experience! / Una nueva e increíble experiencia!

June 3rd/3 de Junio

Hi, my name is Mariana. I’m a biologist; I work in the benthos lab of the National Institute of Fisheries Research and Development (INIDEP). I have a postdoctoral fellowship (CONICET) since 2010. I am interested in echinoderms such as starfish, sea urchins, and brittlestars, and know about their distribution patterns and taxonomy along the shelf-break front in the Argentine Sea. I was selected to participate in this cruise as an Argentinean observer. Although this is not my first research cruise I was very nervous at first. I have never been a long time at sea, and in addition it would be in the Drake Passage, well-known for its rough seas and strong winds! Besides I have to be a month with new people who speak a different language!

My nervousness disappeared when we left Punta Arenas, when I saw that all were very excited for this new experience. During the first days I met all the people on board, all of them with a strong feeling of camaraderie ready to do their best so all the cruise would be successful; What can I do? How can I help you? And all eager for knowledge – What is it? How does it work? And what is that for? I am in the day watch with other two biologists, Chris and Mercer; we sort and preserve biological material that we collect with dredges. I learned a little more about deep sea corals, live and fossils, and I helped to indentify several echinoderm species, some of them were similar to the species I work with! Some of the species I observed during this cruise, I thought that I would only see in pictures!

Antarctica! We get to the southernmost point in the whole cruise! I don´t believe that the thousands of pictures and videos that we got, can show the emotion, happiness and beauty of that day! I got up very early that day when I saw pancake ice by the window of my cabin, there was no time to lose! The emotion of the first iceberg! Whales! Seals! Penguins! No words or pictures can explain all these sensations.

We are now heading north and counting down the days for the end of the cruise. Drake Passage showed us a little more of its nature. Although some stations were delayed, soon, as scheduled, we will be in port with all goals reached. After all these days, I think that my initial nervousness were only normal feelings facing a new life experience! Luckily - science and laughs, stories and jokes that make you feel good, are the same in any language!

By Mariana



Hola, mi nombre es Mariana, soy bióloga; trabajo en el laboratorio de bentos del Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones y Desarrollo Pesquero (INIDEP); tengo una beca postdoctoral (CONICET) desde el año 2010. Actualmente estoy trabajando en taxonomía y patrones de distribución de equinodermos a lo largo del frente de talud del Mar Argentino. Fui invitada a participar en esta campaña como observadora argentina. Al principio estaba nerviosa dado que, si bien no es mi primera campaña de investigación, nunca estuve embarcada tanto tiempo ni en el Pasaje de Drake! Conocido por sus grandes olas y fuertes vientos! Además de tener que estar un mes con gente que uno no conoce y con un idioma diferente!

Mis nervios desaparecieron cuando dejamos Punta Arenas y vi que todos estaban igual de ansiosos por esta nueva experiencia. Con el correr de los días pude ir conociendo cada una de las personas en el barco, todos con un gran sentido de camaradería para lograr que todo salga bien, no todos los días se tiene la oportunidad de estar en una campaña de investigación en estas latitudes!! Qué hago? En que puedo ayudarte? Además todos con ganas de aprender Qué es? Como funciona? Para qué sirve? Participo en la guardia de día junto con otros dos biólogos, Chris y Mercer, separamos, clasificamos y guardamos el material biológico que colectamos con los distintos equipos. Aprendí un poco más sobre corales de profundidad, vivos y fósiles, y ayudé también a identificar algunas especies de equinodermos que resultaron similares a muchas con las que trabajo! Pude ver especies que pensé que solo las conocería por fotos!

Antártida! Llegamos al punto más austral de toda la campaña! No creo que las miles de fotos y videos que tomamos puedan mostrar la emoción, alegría y belleza de ese día! Por supuesto fue el día que más temprano me levante, cuando vi por la ventana de mi camarote que había hielo en el agua, no había tiempo para perder! La emoción del primer iceberg! Ballenas! Focas! Pingüinos! No hay palabras ni imágenes que puedan explicar todas esas sensaciones.

Ahora ya con rumbo norte y en cuenta regresiva. El Pasaje de Drake nos mostró un poco más de su naturaleza y aunque algunos lances fueron retrasados por su causa, en breve y en el día pautado estaremos en puerto con todos los objetivos cumplidos. Después de todos estos días creo que mis nervios iniciales fueron solo los normales frente a una nueva experiencia de vida! - por suerte tanto la ciencia como las risas, historias y bromas que hacen que uno se sienta bien, son las mismas cualquiera que sea el idioma!

Por Mariana



Weather: temperature 37 °F, windchill 10 °F, windspeed 10-20 knots, cloudy
Tiempo: temperature 3°C, factor viento -10°C, velocidad del viento 10-20 nudos, nublado  

 
Mariana, our Argentinian observer, gets stuck into some sponge sorting from a trawl on Sars Seamount / Mariana, nuestra observadora de Argentina, separando esponjas del arte de arrastre en el monte submarino SARS (S. Jennions).
Some echinoderm species collected in the cruise / Algunas especies de equinodermos colectadas en esta campaña.
Iceberg in front of the West Antarctic Peninsula with a group of seals swimming between the ice sea / Iceberg frente al lado Oeste de la Península Antarctica con un grupo de focas nadando entre el hielo (M.Escolar).
Sunshine peeking through the clouds this morning/ Rayos de sol asomando entre las nubes al amanecer (A.Margolin).
“Men wanted: For hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success” – advert by Ernest Shackleton for men to join the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition to the South Pole. (photo by A. Margolin).

6 comments:

  1. Mariana, your friends loves you!!!
    See you!
    EUGE, EMI, MARU, CARO Y VALE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    www.juegosfrivas.com , www.kizidaily.com , www.friv2gamers.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Really like this post very informative and knowledgeable thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.

    Yepme Cashback offers
    Yepme Bank offers

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i see this great post,at the time i'm your bigfan you know!
    free steam gift card code generator

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are enough information shared in this post for me.I am so happy and impressed with this post.Thanks for it lewis capaldi net worth

    ReplyDelete